Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Sunday 4 August 2013

Dartmoor Zoological Park (aka the 'We Bought A Zoo' zoo!)


Last week, my Mum and I travelled down to Devon for an overnight stay and a trip to Dartmoor Zoological Park. You may not have realised but the film 'We Bought a Zoo' starring Matt Damon is based on this zoo (in the film the zoo is in California so they adapted it rather a lot). After watching the film both my Mum and I read the book 'We Bought a Zoo' by Benjamin Mee and I think we both a bit in love with the place despite not having visited since Benjamin Mee bought the zoo. It certainly didn't take much convincing to arrange a visit for us and last week was the day.

Luckily it was lovely and hot, blue skies and sunshine - perfect zoo weather. And as is typical for us, we arrived early (30 minutes before opening!) so we were the first people up the hill into the park. This was great and we enjoyed looking round and visiting all the animals before the crowds really hit. After we had explored ourselves we went back to places for the feeding/talks that were scheduled for the day including seeing the feeding of the bears, tigers and otters. 

It was a fantastic day and I used it as an opportunity to practise using the zoom lens on my camera. Here are some of my favourite shots of the animals we saw...






We had such a fantastic day. The whole place felt really laid back, very un-commercial in a really good way and all the staff were really friendly. It was a perfect way to spend a summer's day!

Love Rebecca

Image Map

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca this must be a wonderful place to visit! Beautiful pics!
    Have a fabulous weekend and week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing...I'm off to a zoo next week for a behind the scenes tour and I'm ridiculously excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...